FIRST !! : In 10 minutes, this FREE website will help you protect your kids if something unthinkable happens to you prior to creating your formal estate plan. This of it as the first step to ensuring your kids are raised by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what.
Did you know that 69% of parents have not yet named guardians for their kids?
And of the 31% who have, most have made one of the (at least) 6 common mistakes parents and their lawyers make when naming legal guardians. During a Family Wealth and Legacy Planning Session we can avoid or fix those mistakes with your Plan.
Having a Will Alone Simply Does Not Ensure the Care of Your Kids If the Unthinkable Happens to You!
If you are a parent of minor children (or those with special needs) who are counting on you, your estate plan must begin with your children would always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At WalshLaw Wealth and Legacy, one of our areas of greatest focus is planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without proper planning, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
If nobody has legal authority to care for your children, even for a short time while the State finds your relatives, your children could be placed into the care of the DEPARTMENT OF CHILDRENS' SERVICES (DCS) even if you have a will in place; even if you have a living trust, while your legal documents are located or your family is identified. Or worse, your kids could be left in the care of the one person in your family you would never want raising them;
● A Judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want;
● Approximately 5% of the total value of your assets could be lost due to probate, a court process that can tie up your assets for months or years and deprive your kids of the resources they need to live comfortably;
● When your kids turn 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left – outright with no protection
● There are unscrupulous people who make it their business to review public records to find out what 18 year olds are coming into money;
● Far too many estate planning attorneys simply do not address these issues, and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Yes, these things scare us too. That’s why we offer a Kids Protection Plan® with every estate plan we prepare for families with young children.
What is a Kids Protection Plan®?
A Kids Protection Plan® is a set of instructions, legal documents and even an ID card for your wallet, which you need to have if you have kids at home who count on you for their well-being and care.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan® will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services, strangers or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want because the authorities don't have clear instructions from you. And your Kids Protection Plan® will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by a Judge who doesn’t know you.
To get started with your Kids Protection Plan®, contact us.
Learn More about our Kids' Protection Plan