69% of parents have not named legal guardians for their children. Of the 31% who have, most have made one of 6 common mistakes. That means that if you have minor children at home (or children who have special needs), it’s time to review your plan for their care, if and when something happens to you.
Begin below with my report on the 6 common mistakes parents make when naming legal guardians for their kids and how you can fix them now.
Then, consider taking the very first step that every parent must have in place (no matter whether you have $1 or $10 million), and name legal guardians for your children for the long-term here. [LINK TO YOUR CUSTOM KPP LANDING PAGE]
Finally, if you have not already read the book Wear Clean Underwear, it’s the best-selling book on legal planning for parents and it’s a must-read. Email us for a free PDF copy, it could change your life.
If you and your spouse/partner cannot agree on who would be the ideal guardian(s) for your kids, that’s something we can help with. We have special training from the Family Wealth Planning Institute on helping parents work through this critical decision.
If you do nothing, the decision about who would raise your children (if something were to happen to you) would be left up to a judge to decide.
A judge who doesn’t know you, doesn’t know what’s important to you, and doesn’t know your children will make all the decisions about who cares for the people who are most important to you in the world.
We know that’s not what you want.
And, truth is … there may never be a perfect solution for you, but there is definitely a solution that is better than your children being raised by someone you didn’t choose.
Perhaps you think the way so many parents do, “if we don’t anticipate it, it will never happen, right?”
Then I guess that means you don’t need things like insurance or any other type of protection since bad things never happen to good people, right? And wouldn’t it be great if that were true.
Responsible parents protect their children, and that means you must think about the unthinkable.
Fortunately, there is a sensible approach to the selection of a guardian for your children that makes it a lot easier. And we can guide you through this most important of decisions.
In addition, we will guide you to put in place a comprehensive Kids Protection Plan® that will ensure you have handled all 7 Must-Dos when it comes to ensuring the well-being and care of your children by naming legal guardians for the long-term and for the short-term to protect your kids, no matter what.
1. Named a couple to act as guardians when you don’t really want both people in the couple and you haven’t said what should happen if the couple broke up or one of the partners in the couple died.
2. Only named one possible guardian. What if something happens to your first choice?
3. Have not considered financial resources when deciding who should raise your children. Your guardians do not have to (and often should not) be financial decision makers for your kids.
4. Only have a Will, which means the Court will distribute your money, it’s totally public and doesn’t protect your money from their divorce and lawsuits.
5. Did not exclude anyone who might challenge your guardian decisions or who you know you’d never want to care for your kids.
6. Only named guardians for the long-term and did not make any arrangements for the short term if you were in an accident. What would happen in those immediate hours until your permanent guardians could arrive?
If you’ve made one of these 6 common mistakes, not to worry; we have solutions!
Look below to see what you can do to make sure your kids
would always be taken care of by people you know, love and trust.
Discover How You Can Fix These Mistakes and Make Sure Your Children, Your Family and Your Money are Protected With a FREE Family Wealth and Legacy Planning Session (normally $750!)y Are Protected With A FREE Family Wealth Planning Session (normally $750!)
The Planning Session is absolutely FREE and there is NO OBLIGATION and NO PRESSURE.
We understand that meeting with a lawyer isn’t high on your list of fun things to do.
Many of our clients felt the same way before their planning session, but absolutely LOVE it
after they’ve experienced a Family Wealth Planning Session with a Personal Family Lawyer®!
They love the peace of mind that comes with knowing everything is set up the right way for
themselves, their future and their loved ones.